Five Ways to Make Your Business More Energy Efficient
Earth Day offers a great opportunity to consider energy usage in your facilities. Taking steps to make your business more energy efficient is not only good for the environment, it also can help your bottom line.
Here are five changes that can lead to energy savings.
- Upgrade light bulbs – Switch from traditional incandescent bulbs to energy efficient compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light emitting diodes (LEDs). According to Energy.gov, CFLs and LEDs use 25% to 80% less energy and last longer. Replacing T12 fluorescent bulbs with T8 or T5 bulbs saves energy as well.
- Install automated lighting controls – Use smart lighting systems, such as time clocks and motion detectors, to control when lights turn on and off. Less energy usage translates to lower utility bills.
- Invest in programmable thermostats – Schedule the temperature to be in sync with your business hours. Programming the thermostat will reduce heating and cooling costs when your facilities are not in use.
- Identify heat loss or air infiltration – Infrared thermal scanning technology can identify areas of the building envelope (walls, windows, doors and roof) where heat is leaking out or cold air is infiltrating. Once such deficiencies are identified, corrective measures, such as sealing leaks or adding insulation, can be taken.
- Analyze the lifecycle of HVAC systems – Heating and cooling systems don’t last forever. Older systems often operate inefficiently. Scheduling an evaluation of existing heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems can offer recommendations to save energy as well as improve comfort and productivity.
Global Facility Solutions offers commercial building services to help optimize building performance, reduce operating costs, and help customers deal with every day issues that plague commercial building owners and operators. Learn more how GFS can help provide energy solutions to you.